Although every effort is made to adhere to the programme, it does very occasionally happen that details of a published walk need to be amended. Leaders have committed themselves to dates which could be almost a year ahead. Additionally, unforeseen road works or extremely adverse weather conditions (as experienced in 2009 and 2010 winters and during the floods of 2007) may make it impossible to reach the advertised starting point or to actually walk a planned route.
1 If the named leader is unavailable
• If a new leader is found at group level, there is no need to involve the Area Walks Co-ordinator or to make changes to the Walks Finder.
• No walk should be cancelled until steps have been taken at Group and Area level to find a replacement leader.
• In the worst case scenario, if no replacement leader can be found at short notice, someone should go to the start point to inform walkers of the situation. Email can be used to contact as many walkers as possible in advance, but this cannot be relied upon to reach all potential participants.
2 If the start point is inaccessible
• In the event of severe weather or road works, any cancellation or amendment will be published on the Ramblers Walks Finder and where possible also on Area and Group websites.
• If severe weather is forecast, it is each walker’s responsibility to check the Walks Finder and websites for amendments (or to phone a friend who can) or, as a last resort to phone the relevant Group Secretary before setting off for the walk.
3 If the planned route is unwalkable or hazardous i.e. the start may be accessible but the planned route could be obstructed or hazardous e.g. walking in deep snow is particularly strenuous and a shorter route might be considered in such conditions.
• Both the route and the distance can be altered at the leader’s discretion.
• It is not necessary to amend the Walks Finder if an alternative walk from the advertised start point can go ahead.
When a Group Secretary, Walks Secretary or walk leader wishes to make an amendment to the Walks Finder they shall contact one of the following:
If the change is agreed, please notify the relevant Group Secretary. The background policy report can be read in the Archives Section